Congratulations! Your baby is growing beyond belief and the doctor has given the OK for baby food. Now what? So much is running through your mind. What's the best? Where do I begin? What will my little bambino like? Take a deep breath and relax. It's easier than you think. I too was plagued walking through the baby food aisle. Reading labels, checking nutrition facts and with a shaking hand choosing a few that I hoped she would like and contribute to her growth. I only took that one trip down that aisle and chose one of each vegetable. When I got home and opened the first jar of greenish-gray beans thinking "gross! I would never eat this" I decided I would just make my own. To my surprise it was easy! I made a few mistakes along the way, but I did it! The joy I feel offering Teagan a meal prepared in my kitchen, under my supervision with ingredients I trust brings a satisfaction of accomplishment and pride that doesn't come from opening a jar. Like you, I'm a mom trying to be "Green" and save a buck. A little selfish glow is also nice.

Friday, September 25, 2009

More Edamame, Mommy!

Pour 1 bag of frozen in the pod Edamame (Soybeans) in sauce pan and cover with water

Bring to boil and cook 3 minutes

Strain pods and allow to cool to the touch

Remove beans by squeezing the sides of the pod to open

Pour into blender or food processor with 2 ounces of breast milk or formula

Puree adding 2 ounces of breast milk or formula at a time as needed until blended to a baby food consistency * If it becomes too thin, add rice cereal to thicken*

Pour into ice cube trays * Tap traps on counter to get air bubbles out *

Cover with plastic wrap and freeze

Once food is frozen pop the food cubes out * Running cold water under trays to loosen food helps*

Put food cubes in plastic baggies to store in freezer *Don't forget to label bags and date*

To serve put 4 cubes in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 1 minute. Stir and heat additional 30 seconds until food is lukewarm

*Some babies may not like the texture of blended soybeans as it can be a little thick and grainy but you can sneak it in by blending it with other food*

4 Cubes equals 1 serving
Makes 4 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment